Our Journey to Matthew

~God created you, a beautiful child, you were just delivered to the wrong address.~

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Matthew Solomon Wess is ours forever!

On Tuesday May 16th, 2006 at 9:55 am, the judge returned with her decision. She granted our petition to adopt our son and with the recommendation of the Public Prosecutor, Orphanage Director and Minister of Education Official she waived the standard 10 day waiting period. We too custody of Matthew at 2:00pm and finally said goodbye to the orphanage forever at 4:15pm.

Matthew was quite active on the 3 hour drive back to Tyumen. No car seats of course. My idea of him sitting quietly on my lap the entire time or napping lasted all of 10 minutes. Already he listened to Daddy as the voice of authority, Mommy is good for changing diapers, giving him a bath and feeding him. Daddy is the fun guy, they already watched a hockey game in Russian together. At least 1 of them knew what was being said and it wasn't the big guy. They both told me to "shhhhsh" when I talked over the TV. Yes they've bonded.

Today Brian gets to run around with our agent and interpreter to the federal building in Tyumen to file papers and procure a passport for Matthew. This gives me time to play a bit with my son, put him down for his nap and repack. I tore through all suitcases and bags last night because when a baby is hungry...you have under 5 minutes to get dinner in his mouth. It started out with him fussing, then babbling loudly and pointing to his mouth then throwing his toys at us then full on tantrum with big tears. I don't recall when I've moved that fast. Brian tried to walk him around but that didn't help much. Finally I found the food and he ate carrots, applesauce, cereal and juice. Thank God!

He slept well last night for his first night. He woke up this morning giggling about 6am. He wasn't even scared a bit. Breakfast this morning was a new experience. Included in our hotel price is a daily breakfast buffet. They even had a highchair they wheeled (reluctantly) out of the kitchen. I think it is the same one Lucy used for little Desi about 55 years ago. No saftey strap and all metal. Matthew ate a banana, fruit puffs (finger food I brought), cheese blintz and juice. Cried when I tried to feed him porridge. Spit out corn flakes at me and anyone walking by. The mess under his highchair was something the restaurant workers we quite unhappy with from the glares. An older lady walked by and told him to behave in Russian. He just laughed at her like "Ha ha, I don't have to listen to all you old cranky Babushka's anymore!". He did however straighten up when she walked by again. I think knows though that he's not going back there. He says a few things. "Bo Bo" to everything he likes. "da da" often but I told Brian to get over himself because he's not referring to Daddy because Da means Yes in Russian. He said I'm just being a poor sport because he isn't saying "ma ma" yet. Hmmmm.....

Anyway, everything is on schedule for us to return home 5/24. Once I get me laptop charged and find a wireless connection where I won't die of lung cancer within 20 minutes I will downloand pics from my camera and add them so everyone can see Matthew's progress, goodby to his old life and first night/morning as a Wess.

I'll write more later when I have some privacy. The guy at the business center acts likes he's a proctor at a state license exam to something. Chesley knows exactly what I mean!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You had to face the Judge, the MoE, the Orphanage Director, the Prosecutor AND the Business Center Nazi on the same day? My prayers for your safety were not wasted. I think he may be equally as scary as the first four, combined!

    The trials you have endured to be a family and the grace with which you handle them never cease to amaze me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home